Smt. Coomiben Babubhai Shah Tarun Sadan – The Hostel
- Transition hostel run by Vinimay Trust for homeless boys coming out of the CWIs
- Commenced operations in 1999
- Located at Kopar Khairane, Navi Mumbai
- Need for the hostel arose as existing Child Welfare Programmes look after destitute children only upto age of 18
- Boys leaving the CWIs not able to manage their own life all by themselves due to sociological, psychological and educational handicaps
- Vinimay assists these boys with free or subsidized living accommodation, job placements, medical assistance, housing loans, higher education and help in personal crises.
- The objective is to groom the youth into well adjusted, mature, economically independent citizen; eliminate social/psychological handicaps, develop positive personality, and uplift them above subcritical economic level.
- Tarun Sadan can accommodates about 50 boys
- Tarun Sadan has been home to many boys who have nowhere to go after being discharged from the CWI
- The first phase of Tarun Sadan, constructed at a cost of Rs. 30 lakhs was inaugurated in May, 1999.
- The second phase was inaugurated in June, 2008
Services to the hostellers
- Care, supervision and guidance by residential superintendent.
- Simple facilities including stay, food, clothing, medical aid.
- Subsidized charges based on the salary earned by the hostellers.
- Academic & technical education to improve earning capacity.
- Job placement.
- Guidance for interaction with community.
- Counseling & grooming for emotional maturity and stability.
- Family-like atmosphere giving the youth a sense of belonging.
- Documents – Pan card, Aadhar card, Voter id., Bank account
- Family tracing
- Average period of stay: 3 to 4 years.
Boarding and Lodging
- Each boy admitted to Tarun Sadan is given a kit consisting of essential clothing and other materials.
- Boys are given simple and tasty food prepared within Tarun Sadan. The quantity is unlimited, considering the age and the energy spent in travel and work.
- Two part time cooks prepare the food at Tarun sadan kitchen with the help of boys.
- Two resident managers supervise the activities of Tarun Sadan as well as provide a very effective link between the boys and Vinimay Volunteers.
- Boys admitted to Tarun Sadan are given free medical checkup, including blood test, chest X-ray, etc.
- Medical insurance is taken for each boy and Vinimay pays for any medical expenditure incurred by the boys.
- Informal Alumni Network set up by Vinimay Trust for boys and girls leaving CWIs and Tarun Sadan
- Activities of Tarun Vinimay:
- Regular contact meetings
- Assistance for accommodation and job placement
- Medical Support
- Assistance in getting employment
- Facilitating marriages
- An annual programme is also conducted to provide a platform for the boys to show their talents and share their experience with other boys.
There is no greater joy nor greater reward than to make a fundamental difference in someone's life.Sister Mary Rose McGeady